Friday, September 28, 2007

Nature Journal Poems and Quotes

In my nature journal I like to include poems or quotes related to what I am sketching or writing about. Sometimes I write my own poems, like when my family recently went hiking. It doesn't have to be "good," just something to help recall to mind what I saw and how I felt. Here is one of the poems I wrote sitting at the edge of the mountain lake about a tree I wanted to sketch:

Tree at Eagle Lake.
Stately tall pine. Branches reaching.
Bird singing. Wind rustling. Peace.

You don't have to write your own poem. You can find a poem or a quote from a book or even online that says something about your topic. I am including some quotes and poems below for inspiration. They are all about trees, since it is Autumn after all. So go outside, find something you want to record, write your own poem, or pick a quote, and copy it in your nature journal.

Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world. ~John Muir

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~Albert Camus

October's poplars are flaming torches lighting the way to winter. ~Nova Bair

falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly~John Bailey

For man, autumn is a time of harvest, of gathering together. For
nature, it is a time of sowing, of scattering abroad. ~Edwin Way Teale

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will
flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own
freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off
like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

5 comments:

Barb said...

Really nice quotes Amanda. I am going to use some for our copywork and then put some in my nature journal.

Great post,
Mom-Harmony Art Mom

Dana Leeds said...

Thanks for the great fall quotes. My daughter and I have just started our nature journal and I'll have to try to add some of these. And, we're studying trees this fall so it should be perfect!

Anonymous said...

I have just recently starte a nature journal for myself and would like to add quotes and poems but it takes a lot of time to find that perfect quote, etc. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Elisbeth

Anonymous said...

I like the poems.
I tend to write just a title and then a little of what I observe.
Maybe I'll attempt to be a slight more poetic!

JacciM said...

Great stuff! My oldest is only six and a half, so we're just getting started with nature journals. It's right up her alley, though. She's artistic for her age and has recently started to try her hand at composing a few lines here and there - I didn't suggest it, she just took an interest in it :) Most of her poem have to do with God and nature, so I asked her if she'd like to put one in her journal. Did she ever! :) I love how much that little entry made the whole journal seem more rounded out and more personally hers :) Great tips, Amanda. And your fall kits sound so great. Good for you!!!