Sunday, December 16, 2007

Some ideas for a boy's sewing box

Last week I posted about putting together a sewing box for a child. I had some questions about how I would put together a sewing box for a little boy. It seems that the actual things put in the box would be the same:

  • Fabric (cotton and felt are the easiest)
  • Thread
  • Needles (needles with larger eyes are better)
  • Pins (pins with round plastic heads are best)
  • Safety pins (they are sometimes easier to use than straight pins)
  • Scissors (they should be sharp, so be sure to supervise)

Other things you could add:

  • Measuring tape
  • Thimble
  • Needle Threader
  • Buttons
  • Ribbon

I think the main difference would be the colors and prints of fabric and thread you would include, as well as the container you put it all in. You would also probably not want to put it in a cute wicker basket. Perhaps a tackle-style box would work instead. (I like this idea because tackle boxes usually have trays or compartments that would make it easy to stay organized.) Or maybe you could use an old tin lunch box. Or a plastic lunch box of your boy's choice even. Get creative! If you have any other fun ideas, be sure to leave it in the comments!

If you are inspired to put together a sewing box for the boys or girls in your life, I would love to see photos of what you come up with. Feel free to email me photos or links to posts inspired by this post. (amandachristina@yahoo.com)

And be sure to check out my post for the instructions for an easy no sew fleece project. It's perfect for a cold winter day!

Here are some things I found on Amazon to get you started:

And I still have quite a few Hearts and Trees Winter Themed Art, Handicraft and Nature Study Kits available, so be sure to check out the post here if you haven't already done so!

~Amanda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you!
Dorla

Anonymous said...

While these are good options, shouldn't the main question be the child's style and not their gender? I bet the are lots of little girls who would like a "tackle box" type of box and plenty of boys who might want something "cuter".

Anonymous said...

Mandy,
I agree that it isn't so much about the gender of the child. In my other post about putting together a sewing box for a child, though, all of the Amazon links I gave were for more cutesy sewing boxes. I had a few people ask me for some more ideas because they didn't think the links I had given would suit their boys. Definitely use whatever works for your child. I even said I liked the idea of a tackle boox for myself!

I was really just trying to make the point that we shouldn't hold back from giving boys sewing boxes because they are traditionally cute wicker baskets. There are other options.

Thanks,
Amanda